one week in Angel Fire

Well here we are. We’ve been in Angel Fire a week now. It is definitely a different life! Thankfully, it is starting to feel like home.

Let’s back up to just before we left Columbus…

Thursday before we left Jay’s motorcycle riding buddies, Jodie Creswell and Lee McBride set up a benefit for us. What a fun night! It was hard to hold in tears as so many friends that we love with all of our hearts lead us in songs from Jay’s life (different bands, etc.) and ended the night in sweet, sweet worship. It was so sweet. The amazing people in attendance raised over $12,000 for our church in Angel Fire. We were blown away.

We were also blown away when a few minutes into the night Jay’s precious parents walked in!!! They surprised us! I can’t believe my mom kept that quiet.  We had so much fun spending a few days with them. My mom, Jay’s mom and I laughed A LOT while packing up boxes in my chaotic house. Janice took the funniest picture of my mom drenched in sweat with hair standing up everywhere. Those moments will forever stay with me. What a sweet memory.

That Saturday morning around 15 friends came to help us load the uhaul. Again, memories I’ll never forget. So many laughs. I’ll never forget Jonathan Payne & Theresa Robertson’s face when we rounded the corner with a lawnmower after they had carefully loaded (tetris style) our uhual.  Too funny.  We will forever be grateful for friends who were willing to get up early on a Saturday and do the job that everyone dreads being asked to do.

That afternoon my family all met for lunch at my brothers house. By that time my precious Aunt and Uncle from Florida had arrived. They love Jay like a son (and of course love me, ha!) so they wanted to come for Jay’s last Sunday at CCC. We gathered and enjoyed delicious food my parents had prepared. While I was making Jay a plate Paul Benitez from Texas walked in. I literally screamed! He’s been a precious friend to Jay and I for years. Talk about HILARIOUS memories….So many in my life involve Paul! Oh what a gift to have him come!

I remember sitting at lunch next to Allie, Ava and Addison trying to hold it together. Knowing my time with them was coming to a close…oh I cry now thinking about it. I remember wanting to just hold them (but knowing that would freak them out hahaha.) Julianna was chatting it up with Jonathan and making us laugh. Vasa and Gabe were being loud playing video games…every memory etched in my mind.

After lunch we sat around the table and prayed. That was it. I was a goner. I wept like a fool all the while trying to keep my makeup somewhat decent for the wedding I was about to attend!  We praised God for all He’s done, family prayed for safety, comfort and peace for us all. I don’t think any adult walked away without tears.

Fast forward to that evening. Luke, Hannah, Moses and Elle came over. They brought lawn chairs (since we had zero furniture!) and a gift basket from the Newcomers and Smiths. Again, precious memories. Gabe opened a hot wheel named “Mo mo” and said, “Moses, this car will always make me remember you.” Well, Hannah and I were a hot mess. I couldn’t even say bye to Luke and Hannah. I just hugged them and walked away. (I’m crying again now.) Moses gave me a hug and said “I love you aunt Taci.” Lord help me. I went to my room and WEPT…SOBBED for at least 30 minutes.

The next morning I met Kami and Theresa for one last run. I can’t even put that time into words. Those sweet girls have walked through so much of life with me. We have laughed, prayed, cried and shared so much life. I know we will continue to but oh how my heart aches for morning runs with them.

Then I got myself and G ready for church. We went to both services that day since it was our last. I lasted about 30 minutes before I lost it. Jay lead worship with the band for the first 4 songs. Then he lead the last two songs by himself. That’s when I lost it. I just love him. I love his heart for God, worship, people and in general. He is such a good man. So I wept. Then HE started crying as he finished leading and began to share about our next steps.

I cried. Then I saw that Ava, Allie and Addison were crying. That completely killed me. They love Jay and he loves them. The relationship they share is absolutely precious. I know that won’t change but it’s hard not to see them regularly! Jay already said how he will miss them coming to talk to him after church every Sunday.

After the first service my dad baptized a friend. Gabe fell apart. He’d been asking for a month or so to be baptized. My brother sat down with him and asked him questions about his heart, faith and about serving Jesus. Long story short, my dad and Jay baptized G right then and there. Again, I LOST IT.

After church we met my family for lunch at Country’s. I tried to soak in every moment. I didn’t want that time to end. I can’t talk much about it because I can’t see to type.

We left there, loaded the Uhaul and headed out of town. LOTS of funny things happened during that time and lots of tears as well.

We only drove 3.5 hours that afternoon because we were (obviously) exhausted in every way possible.

The next two days were driving days. We still had fun. Jay and I called each other about 20 times a day. We missed each other driving in different cars.

We arrived on Tuesday late afternoon to sweet cheers (and homemade cookies & dinner) from some PRECIOUS friends. They helped us unload cars and light our pilot light on the hot water heater.

I won’t go into all the packing and unpacking details but it was A LOT of work. Sweet Sarah, Mundo (who is tough as nails) and Fran helped us get our house put together. We are forever thankful for their help.

We’ve settled into somewhat of a routine. I have only cried twice. I cried writing this and I lost it Saturday night. I wanted my family. I wanted “normal life.” I asked God what I had done!!! Sitting out here in the woods without family!??! What in the world. I cried for about 30 mins and then felt better.

Got up the next morning and went for a run. (which is SO HARD at 8406’ altitude) I asked the Lord to forgive me for questioning our call and thanked Him for allowing me to be honest and cry when I need to!

We got ready and headed to church in Red River. God answered our prayer and gave Gabe a sweet friend named Thomas. We have a play date tomorrow. I am so so so thankful.

We went to lunch with friends. That time was so good for my heart. The food was delicious. It’s one of my favorite places in Taos. The company was just what my heart needed.

That afternoon the Dumlar’s drove down from Colorado Springs to visit. Again, a sweet reminder that God sees us and knows what we need. They stayed for several hours, we ate pizza and they prayed over us. That time was PRECIOUS and again good for my heart.

We had a wonderful Memorial Day with friends as well.

Yesterday we went to look at the building we plan to make our church. It made my heart excited for our future!

God has been faithful. We’ve been able to spend time relaxing with friends, worshipping with friends and in sweet prayer time with friends.

It is hard. I won’t lie. This village is TINY. There’s not much to do. But God’s presence is evident. We KNOW we are right where He wants us to be. We recognize that it’s not going to be easy but obedience is always worth it.

Few other things about this new life:

-The weather is fabulous. I do not miss humidity.
-A slower lifestyle is peaceful and allows much more time/space to hear from Him.
-The mountain views never cease to take my breath away.
-Gabe loves to go fishing. Who knew? He’s also good at rock climbing!
-People here are not in a hurry.
-We’ve met several people who are interested in our church. That’s exciting. James who runs the rock climbing and Colleen who works at the Uhaul place to name a few.
-Gabe’s school is sweet. I went Friday and met his teacher and toured the school. He’ll have about 9 people in his class. Perfect.
-Kriss can grill some burgers. Dear me those were amazing.
-The sun rises at 5:30am (or earlier.) not awesome.
-the altitude makes it hard to breath. It’s humorous. Get to the top of the stairs and you have to sit down ha
-it’s DRY. Therefore you will have dry skin, lips, nose and be very thirsty. If you don’t drink a TON of water you’ll have a killer headache.
-it’s May 31 and I’ve worn jeans and a long sleeved shirt every day since we arrived. (talk to me in December and I may not be as chipper about the weather.)

I’ll share more fun facts and info later. I know this blog is getting long.

This is definitely a new life. We have good days and hard days. Heck, good moments and hard moments. Sadness and loss hits at random times but so does joy and peace.

God never promised us this would be easy. We knew that when we answered His call. But we are beyond excited to see people in this village come to know Him. We covet your prayers.

COME SEE US!!!! We’d love to have you visit. It’s truly gorgeous. You won’t regret it. But watch out  - you may fall in love!

If you want to mail us anything or send donations to the church our mailing address is PO BOX 1507 Angel Fire, NM 87710.


Thank you for caring about us.

Comments

  1. Glad He is supplying all your needs. Keep pushing His agenda and you won't be disappointed! We shall see you all again in the Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lil update on us, Village Church and more

Realizing more & more about this move...

i'm no expert