this NM life

I really do love living in the mountains. I LOVE the beauty. I appreciate the peacefulness. I appreciate nature (i've never been much of a nature girl!) I like the quiet. Living in a place like this really does calm my heart and mind.

I've learned how to be still living here. I've learned how to be ok with quiet.

In Georgia there was always somewhere to go and something to do. Or at least the option. Here we only have one grocery store, a family dollar, some locals shops and restaurants. That's it. Sure, we stay busy with normal life and spending time with friends but we don't create busyness by running to this place and that store just for the heck of it.

I like the relaxed feel of Angel Fire. It probably helps that it's a place people come to retire or vacation, ha.

I love Gabe's school. It is truly a family atmosphere. I think the teachers are outstanding. The students seem to know it's a safe place and seem to know they are loved (not just taught.)

The classes are relatively small which is cool. The rooms are nicely decorated creating a peaceful place to learn.

They have encore on Thursday afternoons. G LOVES encore. Two weeks ago I wanted to leave early because I had a headache but it would mean G would have to miss encore...that kid said NO to leaving early. I'm sorry, what?! What kid doesn't want to leave school??

Encore is when students mix up by age and go to a class for something different. They rotate teachers every week.  I am not explaining this well.  Bottom line, they get to hang out with a different group of students and do something fun with a different teacher.  I know one teacher focuses on science stuff for her encore, one does music/drama type things, and the others vary theirs. But the kids LOVE it.

I can't lie. I do too. I try to go to a different encore every week. Mainly so I can see what the teacher is doing and so I can be with a different group of students.

This last week I went to Mr Peppers encore. They are working on a play that the K-2 students are writing so he began with helping the students learn about being an actor/actress. I can't remember the whole "chant" they did but it was cool.  Let me see what I can remember... voice, listen, concentration, cooperation and self control. I probably left something out. They have motions for each so that if someone is getting out of hand during their play practice all he has to do is motion to them instead of calling them out or interrupting practice. Brilliant!

Then they played a fun game where they learned to do improv. So cute to watch! He'd say "take a picture of me" and the kids would find him somewhere in the room and pretend to take his picture. That would get them quiet and looking at him. Then he'd give them something to act out. Y'all. They were adorable. He went in every direction from being a snake, to driving a race car, to being an HR person firing an employee...ha. It was so fun to watch.

I just loved it. I am so excited to see the play the students are writing. I got to hear a little about the story from Gabe. I think it is going to be adorable.  Jay may help put the music part together. That'll be fun.

I don't know why I just wrote about all that except to say I think this school is different and special.  The atmosphere is structured yet relaxed. I appreciate that.

Gabe has loved being on the ski team. He skis every Monday from 9-3.  (school is Tuesday - Friday.) He has enjoyed learning a lot about skiing and making new friends. He would ski every day if we let him. He is ADORABLE coming down that big ol mountain with his tiny self. I wish everyone could see it. I think he'll continue to do ski team and undoubtedly get involved in competitions in the future.

He'll start golf team/lessons in May. That will be adorable as well.

He has made some really special friends here and we are so so so thankful. Leaving family was hard on all of us but of course we worried most about G. But God has been so very faithful to fill his life with precious, life-long friends. He asks me often if we're going to move again and quickly follows it up with "I hope not!" Me too buddy. I do love this life.

Jay stays busy with Village Church. He has done a fabulous job of planting this church. He hasn't rushing into anything. I'm probably not as much help as I should be because of work but I try!

We've grown from 8 people in our living room to anywhere from 30-50ish on a Friday night. I know for most of you that sounds pitiful but in Angel Fire that's legit!

God has shown up in every detail of this church plant. He has given us a core group of people that are starting this church out on a strong foundation. I am amazed. I wish you could meet each of them. They are unbelievable.

God has done some super cool stuff for Village Church. From a random, nice leather couch just showing up (nobody knows from where) to people donating chairs for us to sit in, to Jays friend from college making our offering/communication boxes out of reclaimed wood, to people donating time and energy to clean/renovate, to precious visions that God has given people for our church (that are truly encouraging!), to angels joining us in worship. Legit.

We have already seen God answer promises that He gave us before we moved. Here's one of my favorites...

When we visited last winter, Jay forgot his prescription meds. So we had them called in to the local pharmacy. We went in to pick it up and I KNEW God was telling me the pharmacist was going to be part of our church. I had no clue if he loved Jesus...no clue if he would even consider going to church but I knew he would be one of the reasons we moved to AF.

I didn't move here and bust into the pharmacy on day one and invite the pharmacist to church. Not at all. I didn't feel like it was anything I had to do...God would.

(I was excited to see his son was in Gabe's class! That made me smile.)

I met his girlfriend soon after arriving and absolutely adored her! I mean, y'all, this girl is hilarious and so much fun. She makes my heart happy.

We had them over to our house for a party or two and again just fell in love with them. Such gentle, fun, loving and engaging friends.

But I never pushed our church.

Then several weeks ago they came on a Friday night. I was so nervous that they would hate it. ha! Lots of faith I had in that moment, huh?!

LONG story short, last week we had a time of sharing at the end of the service and they announced that they had found their church home!!!!!!!! y'all!!! that precious vision that God gave me on a random trip the pharmacy had come to fruition. My heart just leaped!

I could share so many stories like this but I'll stop for now. Mainly because I don't think this blog makes much sense.

Did I mention I'm highly drugged because of a sinus infection? I am.

I'll write down the stories of God's faithfulness and do an entire blog on it. Next time!

I love being a NEW new Mexican. I can't believe we've already been here 9 months. What a wild, fun ride it has been!!!!!!

God is good y'all. If He is calling you to do something out of the box...do it! He is too much fun.


Comments

  1. Kaci, you have no idea how much this blog ministered to me! The enemy has been speaking lies into my heart and mind about our new 'outside of the box' calling. Even though I have similar stories of God speaking and affirming what He spoke, I still doubt...pathetic, huh? Just being real. I also am in a personal struggle right now, missing Connor and Garrett like crazy. Garrett goes to Guam in the next couple of weeks and likely deployed just after that. My momma's heart is wrecked! I have seen God's hand more in the past 4 months than since we moved to GA. It is a blessing and I am honestly trying to focus on that. Thank you for sharing your heart...God used you to encourage me this morning. I love and miss you!!! More than you know! I say prayers for y'all often! (BTW...your blog made total sense!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

Lil update on us, Village Church and more

i'm no expert