everyone needs a Paul in their life

I remember hearing about this new guy in town that was helping Jay with the youth group. All I knew was that he was in the army and his name was Paul.

I asked Jay about him one day. He said "oh he's something else. Maybe a little to PTL for you but he's energetic for sure." PTL being Praise the Lord.

That description was pretty spot on.

Paul is loud. HILARIOUS. Full of joy. Full of life. Loves Jesus wholeheartedly. And is faithful.

Faithful is for sure the word I would use to describe him.

Here are some things I will always love and remember about Paul:

He will always ask for extra ribs at country's bbq. And most times get it. Free.

He has the best and funniest stories about time in Iraq. Only Paul could make you laugh about a war. And I mean laugh until you cry.

He and I went to Carabba's often on Sunday afternoons and would sing LOUDLY along with Shane & Shane on the way. I still think of Paul every time I hear "Yearn."

He would often be in Jay's apartment playing xbox when Jay would get home from work.

He and I would make fun of Jay (often) when he would go for a run and arrive back in 10-15 mins.

He was the most fun chaperone on youth trips....here's a few stories for you:

One time at Souled Out Jay asked him to pray for him while he met/prayed with a student. So sweet Paul did just that. He sat outside on a bench and prayed hard. He kept praying and wondering why jay wasn't coming back. Finally about 3 am he went inside the cabin to see if Jay had come back. Yep, he'd been in bed since like 11pm. hahahahah poor Paul.

It was almost always Pauls idea to order pizza or go out to eat somewhere nice while the kids were stuck eating nasty camp food.

On a ski trip one time he stayed behind to help get the keys out of a church van Jay had locked the keys in while everyone else went skiing. If you've ever read my blog on skiing, you'll know I wish I'd stayed back with Paul. Bless it.

We would go spelunking with the youth group and I remember being MISERABLE because it was cold in that stupid cave and Jay was snoring like a pissed off bear. I opened my eyes in misery and Paul was across from me miserable in his sleeping bag. We laughed... "nothing but a hoody and smile!" Right Paul??

Side note - Jays head was too big to go through one of the things we were crawling through. HAHAHA he had to back out. Paul and I laughed so hard.

I remember when Paul met his (now wife) Stefanie. I loved her from the start! She was perfect for Paul and perfect for our friendship.

Not everyone was a big fan of Jay and I dating but Paul was! He almost made a bumper sticker that said "I'm with Jay and Kaci." HILARIOUS.

The day Jay proposed to me Paul was standing in the street yelling "roll tide roll!" He also yelled that at our wedding reception several times.

He's the reason we have the memory of a neighbor saying "soooorrrryyyy Pauuuul." Love it.

Not all my memories of Paul are funny.... some are simply PRECIOUS.

He and Stefanie drove a LONG WAY to come meet Gabe the day we picked him up. I'll never forget that night. Laughing, sharing stories and seeing our sweet friends hold our son. Love that memory.

He also showed up the day before we left Columbus for Angel Fire. I could NOT believe it when he walked in my brothers house. We were all there to have lunch together and in walks Paul. Alllllll the way from Texas. What a precious gift.

He was there (as he should be) with just our family as we ate, cried and prayed together. I remember sitting by Ava, Allie, Addison, Vasa WEEPING because I didn't want to leave them. I still weep at the thought of being away from them. Julianna too but she was across the table from me that day. I remember where EVERYONE was.

Paul (and Stefanie) are the first people, along with family, that we text or call when we need prayer. I've never known a more faithful friend.

He also watches Village Church every Friday night. What a sweet, sweet friend.

I love Paul. I'm thankful God allowed ME to know this fun, loud, PTL guy.

I wish everyone could know him. Or at least have someone like him in their lives.

I love you sweet friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

i'm no expert

Lil update on us, Village Church and more