Norman

oh norman.

my dad and one of his friends just left my house. they are trying to fix Gs bathtub. it's clogged. probably with a toy...

my dad. what a man. i figured i'd blog about life with norman for fathers day.

i'll just write. some will be funny, sweet, some will be making fun (he's used to it...)

when he's helping with repairs and such - he basically just stands around and states the obvious while his friends do all the work. it's hilarious.

that being said - he does spend most of his retired life helping people. i love that about him. we ALL call him with every need. no matter if its personal, work related, for a friend, etc. norman will help or know who can!

he is the most servant hearted person i know, along with my mom.

he doesnt really say dumb things but there's 2 i can remember and they never fail to make me laugh...

- we were eating at the restaurant in Mexico at disney world. it looks like it's outdoors b/c it kinda has a sky ceiling...but you walk INTO the place so most people know they aren't outside. hahaha. not ol norm!  his quote "this place is nice but what do they do when it rains?"  umm, crickets folks - none of us knew how to respond.

- then one time he called me to find out how he could search for something on the internet. he asked "do i just type it in my email?"  umm... dad, no.

he can make more mouth noises while eating than any man in this world. i can say that without hesitation.

he fell down the steps one time and straight flew sideways into our living room. that might be the hardest i've ever laughed in my life.

he loves my mom.

he really will do anything for anybody.

he can be the most handsome well-dressed man in the room OR look the most homeless. just depends on when you get him :)

he is who he is. what you see is what you get. i love that about him.

he is MEAN on the grill. his grilled chicken is amazing.

he believes in God, 100%. his faith does not waver.  i'll always remember him telling me that my circumstances shouldn't change my faith.

he's lived through some pretty hard things and yet trusts God and doesn't worry.

he loves me, josh our spouses and children.

he likes snickers, hershey kisses and hamburgers.

he does NOT like peanut butter and coffee. (those things make me question if he's really my dad...)

he loves sports.

i dont think i've ever seen him swim. he always just sits on the side of the pool and splashes water on his arms. ha

he has lead in the side of his head where some punk girl in like 1st grade stabbed him with a pencil.

he likes to travel with my mom and his friends. i think thats cute.

we went to lunch most days when i was in preschool. cute huh?! :)

he used to take care of a sweet, blind lady named Ms Hubbard. it was always sweet to watch him with her. we took captain ds to her house weekly(ish.) he would even shave her random whiskers. i was out on that...a woman with whiskers?!

when i would get in trouble sometimes i'd have to spend the day with my dad. he prays a lot. that's what i learned.

sometimes he'd take me to friday morning prayer breakfast at shoney's. fun stuff. i could kill that breakfast buffet.

in college one of my all-time favorite professors told me i'd either marry a man like my brother OR my dad. i DEFINITELY married my dad...

here's some ways jay and norm are alike -
- mouth noises, skadoosh.
- faith in God, unwavering.
- jay can also be the best dressed or most homeless looking...
- patience. these men have patience. (God knew what He was doing...haha.)
- they both have 3 sisters
- they both were married before mom & i.
- they like cars. how the differ in this area - jay likes NICE ones, dad LOVES hoopdies. the bigger, the better.
- they both love sports
- they both love family

josh is all of those things too. EXCEPT he's almost always the best dressed in the room :)
- he's much more sophisticated than dad and jay.
- he doesn't make mouth noises. claire is so very blessed.
- he only has one sister. but i rock hahaha.
- he has ALWAYS been kind to me. no joke, always.

jay and josh are both fabulous fathers who love their kids well. i love that about them. i am blessed to have them in my life. they both tell me they love me all the time. i love that!! they both tear up at sweet things. perfect!

i've always said that understanding God's unconditional love is easy for me because of the way my parents love me. that is so very true. i am beyond blessed.

jay loves Gabe just like that as well. he disciplines when necessary but always loves, plays, encourages, teaches and prays for gabe. i love it.

more funny norman things -
- he can get lost WITH a gps but has an amazing sense of direction. not sure how that works.
- he drives like a maniac. not fast but jerks the steering wheel. its funny and nauseating.
- he's a great preacher/teacher. he doesnt talk for an hour...he gets to the point and keeps your attention. i miss hearing him preach.
- he sings in a quartet (jay sings with them sometimes.) they hardly ever know their parts and their "tracks" are from 1960 i think.
- he was almost always home at 4pm all of my childhood. it was awesome. he sometimes had to go back to church for meetings at night but i KNEW i would have both parents for supper at 6pm. that still means the world to me :)
- he used to order pizza sometimes at like 10pm. that was always fun.
- he LOVES breakfast. like fried potatoes, eggs, etc. loves it.
- he doesnt like or appreciate fancy food!
- he doesn't do well with sick family members. other people - he's great with! but sick family seems to freak him out, ha.

i like that i can call him (and i DO!) crying. he just listens. he lets me get it all out. basically tells me to get over it but i know he'll listen and love me the same.

- washing dishes is NOT his strong suit.
- he loves his recliner, hand held games and old western movies.
- he does NOT judge people.

he always asks how many people were there and who was at an event. i never knew that answer. seriously, who counts?!

my mom said one of the reasons she married him is because she knew he'd be a good dad. she was right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

i'm no expert

Lil update on us, Village Church and more