joshua adam dunlap

i think josh is one of Gods best ideas. ever.

for two days now i have wanted to sit down and blog about how much i love my brother.

i've had a stupid/crazy couple days with feeling lightheaded and weak so i haven't quite been myself. don't worry. i have been to the doctor. EKG was fine as was my blood pressure and blood sugar. they did some blood work and scheduled an MRI for next week. i'll keep you updated. until then...just know i feel silly and embarrassed by the whole thing.

now, back to josh. it only seems fitting that when i had my feeling faint episode this morning i called him. which was strange b/c i DO NOT make phone calls. so he knew something was up! sweet thing let me come lay on the couch in his office and then drove me to the doctors office (instead of the ER where they told me to go. no thank you.)

that's josh for you. he didn't hesitate. he just kept me calm, kept me laughing and went with me to the doctors office. (well we tried mercymed first. they don't take walk-ins. heads up!)

he spent over 2 hours sitting and waiting. just being the loving brother he has ALWAYS been.

growing up he was always, yep i can say always. kind to me. he still is!

i have so many favorite memories and funny stories. i could write a book.

but i'll just list some fun things and things i love!

- growing up we hardly ever fought. when he did get on my nerves he'd make me laugh so i couldn't stay mad.

- he never ate all of his easter/halloween candy. so i did! he kept it in the top drawer of his desk in his room and slowly i'd eat it all. that's why i was a chunk. hahahaha.

- he used to come in my room every night and just talk to me. he was never "too cool" for me. we shared life. he knew everything going on! he knew my fears, hurts, joys, etc. still does.

- he also used to run in my room just before bed and fart. it was brutal.

- he would leave notes for me when one of us was going out of town for the weekend or a trip. or just funny notes.

- he also wrote me a long, sweet letter when he and & claire were falling in love. i LOVED claire from the start but was not comfortable with another girl taking all his attention, ha. but he wrote me the sweetest, most thoughtful letter about how i would always be his sister. still have it.

- he is still one of the first people i email/text/call when something is going on with me. good or bad.

- he is one of the first people i want to share funny things with.

- we have so many inside jokes. i bet we could basically have a conversation using phrases and words that would not make sense to anyone but us.

- we can also have conversations without words. sometimes things will happen and we'll just lock eyes and laugh. too fun.

i always tell people that everyone should have an older brother. i do think thats true. but i should probably rephrase that to say that everyone should have an older brother like josh.

another thing i love and appreciate is that we talk about hard stuff. we do speak to each other "truth in love." if we need to be called out on something we try to be faithful in doing so. not always fun. but fruitful.

here's some funny things about our life as siblings:
- we never knew sugary cereal existed. we were like 12 & 14 years old before we saw fruity pebbles or anything other than corn flakes. haha.

- NEVER once did we have pop tarts in our house. i know i was in 3rd grade when i heard about those.

- we only drank diet drinks and tea made with saccharine. (sp?)

- we used to take my dads (old, big, horrible, ugly) Cadillacs on joy rides. when josh was like 14. yes we did. we even jumped through the windows like the dukes of hazard.

- he always let me play & tag along with his friends. that was always fun.

one time some guys were giving him a hard time. my mom made him go fight them. (which i LOVE about her.) so he did. but the bug man (who is still their bug man!) was at our house and my mom made him drive down to where they were fighting and make sure josh was ok. he was beating them up. we were SO PROUD. haha

- when we used to have babysitters we'd either have moma-u-bake pizza (anybody remember that...YUMMMM!) or "dog food" as my dad referred to it which was chef boyardee.

- we rarely, if ever, ate fast food. we hardly ate out when we were kids. but if we did it was probably po folks or shoneys.

- we ate supper together EVERY NIGHT AT 6pm (like we do now as Lesleys!) and i loved every minute of it. josh always tried to ring the trash can with his napkin. every night without fail. if he missed dad would get it and he'd try again. :)

- i still ask josh style questions. he's always had better style than me.

- i've always been jealous of his tall thin figure. i didnt get that gene!

- he also always looks nice and comfortable in his clothes. whether he's in a suit or an old thsirt. how?!

- he and i always eat entirely too much when we are at my parents house. we always go back for the savory food after dessert too. every.dang.time.

i know i am forgetting a million things.

but i simply love josh.

we are busy people. we have families, jobs and a ton of things that keep us busy. but he was my very first best friend and will always be that for me.

i don't know how people live without Jesus. but i also can't imagine my life without Josh.

he is FUNNY. he is smart. he is generous. he is loving. he is always there. he is thoughtful. he is honest. he doesn't try to be anything but himself around me.

he is a great father and husband. i LOOOOOOOOVE his family. i love claire and think of her like a sister. she's a perfect fit for josh. i couldn't be more thankful for her.

i certainly know that God delights in Josh. i know He enjoys watching him lead worship, play guitar and lead his family. no doubt God is proud of the man josh is. i hope josh knows that. but if he doesn't i'm asking God right now to tell him that its true :)

he is a precious gift to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

Lil update on us, Village Church and more

i'm no expert