if you like it, better put a ring on it :)

easter sunday april 2006...i got up, put on my seersucker dress (like a good southerner) and headed to church. i remember having to be a greeter that morning. i'm probably the worlds worst greeter. i tend to get side-tracked...(aka - i see ava, allie & addison and now vasa)

after church jay and i headed to the Webbs for their easter lunch & easter egg hunt. if you go to ccc and have never been over there on easter do yourself a favor and GO! the food is AMAZING and its such a fun place!

we ate lunch, helped hide eggs (which for me meant chuckin' them out in the grass & trees...) and then watched the kids go hunt for them. i wasnt much for kids (unless their family) back then so i sat on the porch and pretended to think the kids were precious.

we stayed for a little while then headed out. gotta get home for a sunday nap before we pig out at my folks for family night! (sunday night is family night for us dunlaps)

jay dropped me off at home & told me he was coming back over with my easter basket. i kinda freaked. easter basket?? we dont do easter baskets?! i smiled thinking "what can i re-gift?"

(for those who know this inside joke - as jay was leaving his apartment paul was yelling "roll tide roll!" knowing what was soon to come haha, perfect.)

he wasnt gone long (he lived a block away.) then i heard him pull in the driveway. i knew i had nothing to give in return. i dont typically have "man gifts" laying around the house. i considered trying to wrap a picture frame or book i'd read that looked decent but figured he'd know that didnt come from the heart.

he walked in all happy with his cute basket. it was orange & colorful. it was full of that cheap grass stuff and protein bars...let me explain.

if you read our story you know that i was trying to lose weight and look good. so at this time i was on this CRAZY diet. i basically carried a cooler instead of a purse. i had to eat protein like every 3 hours. who can do that? where am i supposed to find a lean meat at 10:30am? what?? no joke, i ate lean meat burgers for breakfast on this diet. i hate so many freakin egg beaters i still throw up in my mouth the sight of a carton of them. dont get me wrong...the diet worked but whew, it was intense.

ohhh - funny side note. i'd called a friend of my brothers to be my dietitian for this slim down. she was super sweet and willing to help me. when i called her i left an obnoxious, blabbering message...i'm sure she thought i was nuts. she called me back faster than i thought she would and no kidding - i'll never forget seeing her name pop up while my friend paul and i were sitting at sonic splitting a huge oreo blast. ahhhh, hahahaha i refused to answer. (guess i wasnt too serious about weight loss in that moment.)

so back to the easter basket. it had lots of protein stuff and 10 plastic eggs (that i could see.) jay told me they were numbered in the order that i should open them. so i started with 1 and went to 10. they were filled with little notes that were his top ten reasons for loving me. super cute!

i read them, hugged him and started going to town on my protein cookies.

he said there's one more egg. i argued that i'd opened all ten. he said yeah but there's one more. so i looked & didnt see it. he told me to keep digging (being a fat girl at heart, i was more interested in my cookie.) anyway, i finally pushed to the bottom of the cheap grass and found #11.

i opened it.

there it was...all beautiful & shiny...a diamond ring!

i threw it at him like it was a roach and asked "is this a joke?"

i wouldn't touch it. i can still remember seeing it lay on his yellow shirt after i threw it at him.

he started saying something, i'm sure it was sweet, but i wasnt listening.

he finally convinced me it was real. so i guess i said yes b/c we're married.

we jumped in his truck to head to family night. i wanted to call my mom but he told me that when he called to take my parents to lunch to ask for permission my dad suggested we surprise my mom.

so i waited til i got to their house. i walked in and shot up my hand so she could see my ring. her response..."is this a joke?"  ahhh hahaha. i get it honest folks.

we smiled, laughed, hugged, cried, etc. my mom immediately got out the camera and started taking pictures. soon josh, claire & the girls showed up. we ate a fantastic easter supper.

it was time for dessert. SURPRISE - a bunch of our close friends showed up to have dessert & celebrate with us. how precious!! i even got a letter from friends that couldn't be there that night. what a FUN way to end a perfect day.

ps - screw the diet. i think i ate half of a cake, an entire bowl of grape salad and Lord only knows what else. i dont regret a bite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

i'm no expert

Lil update on us, Village Church and more