154 teens have my heart

i have fallen in love with 154 teenagers.

sure, they can get on my nerves, ha. they do stupid things, say incredibly insane things sometimes and  Lord knows they don't always pay attention.

but i just love them.

every one of them is unique. i spent my weekend looking at them as i spoke, watching them as they shared in small groups, played nine square, square danced, worshipped and laughed. i saw all types of students. some nerdy, some super athletic and "cool", some very quiet and reserved, some you'd NEVER pick out of a crowd to be a TA (those of my favorites!) and some that blend in with the crowd.

but i asked God, and He was faithful, to let me SEE each one of them this weekend. i'd written their names at least 5 times on name tags, ocho lists, cabin lists, etc. so i had prayed for each one individually and i hoped i would SEE each one just as HE does...

when you are looking at people the way He does...your heart just melts...it simply loves.

i am truly blessed to know these students. i say it all the time...there is NO reason why i should/would know N'zier Bohannon or Jada Lisbon or Qhamora Kimbrough... i am a 35 year old white mom that would never have the chance to know these folks except for TAs. i know, KNOW that is a gift from God.

i am amazed by these students. we (the TA staff) know that being a TA isn't a "cool" thing. not at all. we get that.

but wow, what an awesome choice these students are making. we ALL remember being in middle school and high school...we remember how being cool and popular felt like LIFE...like the most important thing.

but these students GET IT. i think they get that these years they will spend in high school are fleeting. i think they get it that WHO they are, what they do and decisions they make will effect the rest of their lives. they can think past high school. they are shaping themselves to be ADULTS...employees, moms, dads of integrity.

they aren't perfect. neither am i. they mess up. so do i. we hold them accountable when they do, there are consequences but ultimately they are met with love and grace.

heck, i told more than one of them on the retreat that they were being stupid. and that i kinda wanted to punch them...but i followed it up by telling them i love them anyway. (but i will find them if they don't shape up!)

i used to struggle with the confrontation part of my job. not so much anymore. i want them to be better. i want them to learn and grow. i have no problem with the tough talks. i kinda enjoy them now because i get to come right behind those tough words with truth and love. what a cool thing.

so i am starting this year in TAs with a new heart, a new love and new found joy for what i get to do.

here is my prayer for this year, for these students and for myself...

thank you Lord for being faithful. thank you for forgiveness. thank you for loving me when i know i am not lovable.  forgive me for not doing my job with my whole heart and mind. forgive me for not opening my home, my heart and myself fully to TAs in the past couple years. help me to continue to SEE them and love them the way YOU do. bring them to my mind when i am praying, working, running and doing every day things.

help me see and remember their hurts...  drug addicted parents, parents that don't know how to talk to them or reach out to them, pressure to make good grades, pressure to fit in, pressure to have sex, drink/get involved in drugs, lies from the enemy and this dark world,  pressure to be a certain size or look a certain way...help me show them Your Truth. help me LIVE it out before them. i want to be a safe place for them...help my home be a hiding place, a resting place, a peaceful place for them to come and encounter YOU.

i trust you with every one of them. i hope you trust me too :)  thank you for Aaron Wall, Molly Baker, Logan Wilson, Allison Williams, and Donavan Vialva who are joining with me in this battle. help us to walk with these students as they battle this dark twisted world. we are NOTHING without you. fill us with your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

amen.

let's do this.

Comments

  1. LOVED reading this! TA Retreats were what I looked forward to most in high school, and I truly cherish the years that I spent as a TA. Each one of those 154 teens made an incredible choice, and I definitely support their decisions. Thank you for the chance to reminisce on the good times! Praying for the TA (and Velocity!) staff as this year kicks off!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

Lil update on us, Village Church and more

i'm no expert