family night

If someone could choose an ideal childhood, they’d most likely pick one like mine. I've been blessed with fun, loving, supportive parents, a loving older brother and a peaceful happy home. Sure we had our moments but for the most part I’d say life was close to perfect. My parents expected a lot from us. Decent grades, giving our best with what we were involved in…but they never pushed us to the point of stress! I am forever thankful for that. They allowed us to try (and fail) at lots of different activities: karate, dancing, band, the list goes on & on!

Both of my parents had full-time jobs all of my life. Yet I never felt like I lacked for time with them. Luckily they had jobs that allowed them to be home by 4pm every afternoon. We knew they’d be there. We knew they would greet us with joy! I never felt like I was annoying to them or felt like they were too exhausted from their day to want to see me or talk to me. How refreshing. I knew without fail a home-cooked meal would be on the table at 6pm. The four of us would sit together and share about our days. Dinner together every night was the NORM…not the other way around.

I can still remember where we all sat at the table. I can remember dad making jokes about moms cooking. I loved every minute of our time together. We laughed a lot. I’m sure we had serious conversations at times but I don’t remember them.

We still try to get together as a family most Sunday nights. Of course we’ve had additions to the family since my childhood. Claire was first, followed by Ava, Allie, Jay, then Addison and my grandmother. Next time…Vasa!!

It’s the same scenario every time. Mom always goes outside to greet the dunlaps. They always come in with funny stories about their day. We all must give hugs first, and then chit chat before filling our plates. (we love each other but food is definitely the main event!)

It’s chaotic & loud and we love it! My parents don’t skimp on the meals. Whew, we all leave sick. Seriously, we hardly come in “real” clothes. We know we’re going to need expandable pants after dinner. It’s awesome. I always try to only have one serving of dessert. My will-power often fails. (keep in mind our dessert servings are HUGE to begin with.) I am like an alcoholic in a bar once I start eating sweets. oh my. it's bad.

Ava & I (almost) always start eating before the blessing. Eventually after everyone is seated the girls decide which one will bless the food and we dig in! I typically eat like a refuge that hasn’t seen food in months. I don’t know what comes over me! I lose all self-control. It’s something about being at home, I guess.

dad tends to talk with his mouth full and say things to annoy me (i love it!)  the girls are constantly "reporting" how many peas they've eaten or who is running low on butter. mom serves everyone non-stop. josh & i make faces at each other that no one else sees or understands and laugh. claire is the sweet one who asks about everyones life and (completely) listens to the response! granny is either laughing or crying most of the meal. jay just eats. hahaha. he also plays with the girls a lot. he's the reason things get chaotic, i'm convinced. i watch everyone with a huge smile in my heart. i pray that i won't take a minute of it for granted.

Random side note – josh & I always have to go eat something salty after dessert so our tea tastes right. You’ll always find us hovering over the stove after dessert. mmm.

After supper we hang out for a while. Most of us are in a food coma. During the fall/winter we watch football and lay around. It’s perfect.

Josh & Claire may not know this but sometimes jay makes a diet coke float for an extra dessert before we leave. Of course I have a bite. It’s my wifely duty.

I hope our Sunday tradition carries on forever.

I can’t wait to share it with Vasa.

I also can’t wait to take him on our “family fall extravaganza” to the mountains …wonder what he’ll do for the talent show?!  Jay and I are hard to beat.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

Lil update on us, Village Church and more

i'm no expert