weddings & such

next month jay and i will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. we've been best friends for close to 8 years. he's my favorite friend. i wouldn't say that if i didn't mean it.

we have a unique marriage. we laugh often thinking what other people might think of our conversations & marriage "rules." we probably should've written our own vows. we've made certain amendments. here are some examples:

if one of us is injured/disfigured because of something tragic, we're in it for the long-haul. BUT if it's because of something stupid...the other one is free to go. for example, jay just bought a motorcycle (which he had to raise ALL his OWN money for from bday, christmas gifts etc) so, if he gets injured riding that bike - i can leave him. because having that bike is stupid :)  

another rule - we want the other spouse to remarry if something happens to the other. but i told jay a couple girls i hope he wouldn't choose in my absence. i also informed him if he did choose one of those i'd most certainly "haunt" them. so if he tried to kiss her and noticed her head jerk back...that was me...pulling her hair. just sayin.

i'm not a parent yet. but i am thinking that parenting (like marriage) is a lesson in being unselfish. jay needs for me to greet him with a smile every time i see him. no matter how rough my day has been or how i'm feeling - he needs/deserves me to be excited to see him. (which isnt hard!) i know my kids will be the same way. i hope/pray to always greet them the way my Heavenly Father greets me. not fleshy at all.

jay & i also have this thing where, if we're kindof annoyed with the other or simply having a rough day, we stop what we're doing and name 3 things we love about the other (and sometimes 1 "not so much") it's hard to stay mad at someone when you're telling them why you love them. sharing the one thing we don't love so much keeps it from happening again. 

we are very different. i'm super organized, clean, ocd. jay - not at all! he's relaxed, playful, very child-like...but all in good ways! he's definitely going to be the fun parent while i'm the one who keeps the family fed, clothed and clean.

oh another rule is that when we have kids saturday will be dress yourself day. jay is PUMPED about this. he (along with our kids) gets to wear whatever foolishness he desires. no matter what. Lord help me. 

we also have a "love box." we leave each other notes & gifts in it. i want each of our kids to have their own box as well. 

i have sooooooo many other random/crazy/off-the-wall things about us to share but i'll save it for another day.

i feel silly posting a blog. like who cares about this stuff?? but i enjoy reading other peoples blogs so i figure what the heck. 

i hope my mom gives me ideas to blog about :) 

Comments

  1. I love this post. Needed to read it. I am definitely going to use the "three things I love about you even though I want to smack you" thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this...and you guys.

    i hope ben and I can learn from a lot of these things for our marriage! :) a love box is SUCH an amazing idea. :) fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

Lil update on us, Village Church and more

i'm no expert