to know him is to love him

tomorrow is fathers day. so i figure i'll write some of my favorite things about my dad. some are sweet, some old memories, some just plain funny.

he doesn't feel the need to impress anyone. he is who he is no matter what.

he will do anything for anybody.

his quartet gets more gigs than my husbands band.

if its an ugly, big t-shirt, he'll wear it.

he wears tennis shoes with khakis. all of his pants are too short.

if you tell him he has short legs, he'll tell you "they reach the ground."

he used to take me to hartz chicken for lunch during preschool. pretty sure its where i got my carb addiction.

i'll always remember him listening to sermons, reading his Bible and studying Gods word, often. still does. i love he never becomes content in his pursuit of Christ.

he used to kick my brothers tail in basketball. he'd mouth off all night too.

i will always appreciate how much family matters to him. he's always made us feel super important.

he can get grumpy but for the most part, he's hilarious.

he trusts God, period.

he (and my husband) make the loudest mouth noises when eating. i dont even understand how its possible.

he never let us buy snacks at gas stations on family vacations. we always had a cooler of diet cokes and peanut butter crackers in the car.

he loves big, obnoxious, old cars. like cadillacs...the BIG LONG ones. he used to buy them often. i was always soooooooooooo embarrassed by them. oh gosh. he'd still have one now if my mom would let him.

he can look super handsome when he wants to OR completely homeless & scary. i think he prefers the homeless look.

he makes the BEST grilled chicken on the planet.

he doesn't eat popcorn, drink coffee or eat peanut butter. (except in those vacation crackers.)

he loves breakfast food. fried eggs, fried potatoes, biscuits, sausage, grits, etc. he's in heaven!

he also loves a good burger & fries.

he's patient. he's loving. he's generous. he's funny. he's annoying (on purpose.) he's kind-hearted.

he doesn't make fun of people. (except me.)

he's not super affectionate. but i still KNOW that he loves me. i've never doubted his love for in minute.

growing up he didn't lose his cool with us. he certainly had his not-so-perfect moments. but for the most part he has always been the most amazing picture of Christ. i dont take that for granted.

he's can be cheap and tacky. bless his heart. mom has helped him A LOT to come out of that...

he sleeps in movie theaters.

he loves sports. i like that about him. he'll always talk football with me.

several years ago he gave me his (big, perfect, reclining) leather chair. i LOVE it. i settle into it every morning for my quiet time. it feels safe. like being at "home."

he drives with his arms straight out. yes, straight. therefore he jerks the wheel a lot. we got whiplash on trips.

he is really good at "managing" jobs. :) hahaha.

he loves the Lord with all of his heart. he had some crappy stuff happen to him before he met my mom. but he still trusts & loves God.

he used to poke us in the ribs with his pointer finger. it tickled & hurt at the same time.

he would pick us up like incredible hulk and throw us in bed as kids. loved it.

i loved nights when he'd order pizza (just for the heck of it!) at 10pm. super fun memories.

he makes the best vegetable soup. but i probably dont want to know all he puts in it.

there are a few people who can make him laugh really hard. his friend donnie is one. i love it. he wipes tears. my goal is to make him laugh that hard one day.

he's a good cook, faithful friend, observant husband, and fun poppi (as his grandkids call him.)

he used to pack my moms bag and take her away for the weekend. i always loved that. it was romantic & spontaneous.

he is not good at computer stuff. at all! he called me one time b/c he wanted to look for something on the internet. no joke he asked "do i just type what i'm looking for in an email?"  really norman?!

he baptized me and has dedicated all of my nieces. precious.

i call him for everything. advice on how much food to get for TA events, how long to cook meat, scripture/Bible questions, money advice, when i'm upset/crying/scared or dying laughing.

he truly is one amazing, amazing man. he can get on my nerves asking "who was there?, how many people were there? (really, dad...i'm not gonna count), making mash potatoes sound like he's chewing rocks, making fun of me for eating LARGE amounts of dessert or never knowing which tea pitcher is unsweet, etc.

but i wouldn't trade those things for anything.

his love makes it easy for me to understand Gods love. i've never wondered about his love for me. i feel safe, protected, cherished and delighted in. he loves me unconditionally. just like Jesus.

Comments

  1. Kaci - I found your blog from your fb status, so now I "follow" it on Google reader, and I love it! :) I love how "you" it is. Random, funny, and heartwarming all at once. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaci, Your descriptions of your dad are right on. The first comment truly boils down who Norman is - he feels no need to impress anyone. That is what is so refreshing about him. He is truly guileless. So many of your comments are traits
    I have witnessed in him and it was interesting to learn those things I didn't know. Norman is a very special man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect!!! I remember the first time I met your folks, and almost 40 years later I can still hear Norman-isms in my head. Have a wonderful Father's Day with your dad!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Realizing more & more about this move...

i'm no expert

Lil update on us, Village Church and more